Carlisle United v Burnley

Carlisle United 1 v 4 Burnley (Pre-Season Friendly)

Burnley imposed their authority on this game straight from the kick-off, after only three minutes Dean Marney raced into the Carlisle penalty area, only to be unceremoniously halted by Reece James’ ill-timed tackle, however the referee waved play on.


On six minutes, Carlisle found themselves 1-0 down after a Charlie Austin cut-back was thumped home from 12 yards by the unmarked Ross Wallace.

Burnley extended their lead even further on ten minutes, when in form Danny Ings showed composure to slot the ball under the advancing keeper Mark Gillespie, following an excellent defence splitting ball by Dean Marney.

Carlisle created an excellent chance which fell to Lee Miller in the Burnley area, but his header was well saved on his line by Tom Heaton.  Burnley then had another chance to extend their lead when Ross Wallace’s free-kick hit the Carlisle post.


Carlisle then had an excellent chance with David Amoo solo effort, he took the ball on the half way line before running down the wing and cutting into the area, his low drive struck the Burnley post with goalkeeper Tom Heaton well beaten.


On twenty-two minutes, Burnley added a third goal through Danny Ings, once again Dean Marney was the architect, this time with a perfectly flighted ball from the right flank that Ings controlled and slammed home off the right hand post.

Within a minute of the re-start, there was a golden chance for Ings to complete his hat-trick as he was sent clear by Junior Stanislas, but with the Carlisle keeper advancing, the Claret’s striker went for the chip and clipped his shot high over the gaping goal.


 At the start of the second half, Carlisle United had a great chance to reduce the arrears on fifty minutes, when they were awarded a penalty for a trip on Lee Miller by Dean Marney.  Lee Miller took the penalty himself, but could only watch as Tom Heaton made an excellent save driving to his right.


Seven minutes late Junior Stanislas ended the game as a contest when he curled a shot from the edge of the area into the far right hand corner of the Carlisle goal to make the score 4-0.


Straight from the kick-off, Carlisle sub Lewis Guy ran at the Burnley defence before drilling home a consolation for the League One side.


As the game entered the last fifteen minutes and Burnley made changes, Carlisle started to create more chances.  David Amoo had a shot at goal saved by Tom Heaton, plus a header which went over the Burnley crossbar following a corner.

The Carlisle winger (Amoo) almost added a second goal when his freekick hit the Burnley post with Tom Heaton well beaten.


After the game Burnley manager Sean Dyche said “Goals can come in many different ways and there were four today that were all exceptional goals in different ways.

There were some really good signs in that first half, however there was a learning curve for around 15 minutes in that second half, when they put us on the back foot a little bit”.

Match Details

Carlisle United – Gillespie, Potts, James, Edwards, Livesey, Thirlwell, Amoo, Miller, Gillies, Robson, Berrett (Subs) Lynch, Thompson, Symington, Guy, Beck, Dempsey, Salmon, Brass

Burnley – Heaton, O’Neill, Lattery, Jones, Duff, Shackell, Wallace, Marney, Austin, Ings, Stanislas (Subs) Arfield, Vokes, Cisak, Edgar, Mills, Stock, Treacy, Long, Hewitt, Noble, Coleman

Goals – (Carlisle) Guy (58) (Burnley) Wallace (06), Ings (10,22), Stanislas (57)

Attendance – 1,976

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.