Brighton HA v Burnley

Brighton Hove Albion 2 v 2 Burnley (Sky Championship)

Burnley arrived on the south coast to take on their promotion rivals Brighton Hove Albion at the Amex Stadium, the Clarets welcomed back former Brighton forward Ashley Barnes after eleven months out with injury.

shirts (1)

It was a fairly even first half with Brighton perhaps having the slight edge over the Clarets, it was the Clarets that had the first effort at goal, when Andre Gray’s shot from the edge of the box was easily saved by Stockdale in the Brighton goal.

On seven minutes, George Boyd then went close following an excellent pass by Ward, but his shot from the left hand side of the area which went just wide of Stockdale’s left post.

Brighton then had there first effort at goal on nine minutes when a Kayal found Tomer Hemed outside the Burnley area with an excellent pass, but Hemed’s shot went just wide  of Tom Heaton’s left hand post.


On thirteen minutes, Brighton had three efforts on goal, the first fell to Hemed from outside the area but it was well blocked by Ben Mee.  The rebound fell to Kayal but his effort was blocked by Keane.  The ball then fell to Rosenior but his shot went high and wide of Heaton’s goal.

The Clarets then had an effort on twenty one minutes, following a long ball from the back by Michael Keane found Sam Vokes on the edge of the Brighton box, Vokes took the ball on the chest before firing a right footed shot just wide.

On twenty nine minutes following an excellent headed pass from Bruno the ball fell to Connor Goldson, but his right footed shot from the centre of the box was well blocked by Ben Mee.


Brighton took the lead on the half hour mark, following a corner which was flicked on to the back post by Matthew Lowton in his own box, Seagulls midfielder Stephens arrived at the back post to put a right footed shot from a tight angle into the burnley goal to make it 1-0.

Just minute and forty seconds later, Burnley drew level following a David Jones corner which feel to Stephen Ward in front of the Brighton keeper just four yards from goal, as Ward fell he set up Andre Gray who blasted the ball passed Stockdale to make it 1-1.


The final ten minutes of the first half belonged to Brighton and on thirty eight minutes following an excellent pass from Anthony Knockaert, the ball fell to Beram Kayal, but his shot from outside the box was blocked by Matthew Lowton.

One minute later, Sam Baldock had a right footed shot from the edge of the box which was well saved by Heaton in the top right corner of the goal, following an assist from Bruno.

Brighton took the lead again on forty five minutes, as Anthony Knockaert collected the ball midway into the Burnley half on the right wing, he then ran at the clarets defence before twice wrong footing Ward in the box, he then fired the ball passed Heaton to make it 2-1.


Brighton should have extended their lead in injury time when a cross by Beram Kayal was met by the head of Tomer Hemed, but his effort hits the right post, to leave the half time score 2-1 to Brighton.

Brighton started the second half much quick then Burnley and on forty eight minutes Jamie Murphy right footed shot from outside the box went just wide of the Clarets right hand post.

Around the hour mark,Brighton’s Beram Kayal was starting to control the game and the Seagulls were well on top, two fouls in the space of ten minutes by Burnley’s Joey Barton both on Kayal started to changed the game.

Brighton supporters were appealing for a red card against Barton as the first foul looked like he had stamped on Kayal, but Barton was trying to jump over Kayal and landed on him and the second foul was an elbow to the face but Barton was using his arms to jump.


On sixty eight minutes following an assist from Sam Vokes, the ball found Matthew Taylor who’s left foot shot from the right hand side of the area was well blocked by the Brighton defence.

A minute later, following a James Wailson cross Anthony Knockaert’s left footed shot from the centre of the box was well saved by Heaton in the bottom left corner of his goal.

Brighton continued to press and Tom Heaton was called upon again in the seventy first minute, when Jamie Murphy’s left footed shot from the left side of the box was well saved by Heaton following an assisted by Anthony Knockaert.


The big talking point of the game came on eighty eight minutes, when following a Matthew Taylor corner Michael Keane headed the ball over the line to bring the Clarets level.  However the officials waved play on and said the ball had not crossed the line.


Justice was done as Burnley drew level three minutes into injury time, when Michael Keane got onto a Matthew Taylor corner six yards out.  His header went straight past Stockdale in the Brighton goal to make the final score 2-2.

Burnley will be looking to continue their sixteen game unbeaten run when they entertain Cardiff City at Turf Moor on tuesday evening, a win for the Clarets will see them guarantee a least a place in this seasons play off places.


Speaking after the game manager Sean Dyche said, “I would be surprised over the next few years if we don’t see technology coming into the Championship.  On days like today, when it was that obvious the ball was over the line and it doesn’t get given, you have no choice but to question the officials.

Overall I think it was a well deserved point, I thought they played well in the first half and got their noses in front.  But I felt we were strong in the second half and we always knew we had a chance.  They have conceded 26% of their goals from set-pieces, so we worked on that area and with some luck, if a linesman does his job properly, we could have nicked all three points.”

Match Details

Brighton HA – Stockdale, Bruno, Goldson, Dunk, Rosenior, Knockaert, Stephens, Kayal, Murphy, Baldock, Hemed (Subs) Maenpaa, Bong, Greer, Wilson, Lau Lau, Sidwell, Skalak

Burnley – Heaton, Lowton, Ward, Mee, Keane, Barton, Jones, Arfield, Boyd, Vokes, Gray (Subs) Robinson, Taylor, Kightly, Barnes, Tarkowsli, Darikwa, Marney

Goals(Brighton) Stephens (30), Knockaert (45) (Burnley) Gray (33), Keane (90+3)

Attendance – 29,683

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.