Guiseley AFC v Bromley

Guiseley AFC 0 v 1 Bromley (Vanarama National League)

After the excitement of last week’s FA Cup draw against Accrington Stanley, the Lions got back to the bread and butter of the Vanarama National League this week with a home game against Bromley.  Manager Paul Cox made two changes from last weekends team bringing in Harvey and Liburd for Lenighan and Fondop who dropped to the bench.


The biggest talking point of the game came after only two minutes, when a long ball over the top of the Guiseley defence left Louis Dennis clear on goal with only Jonny Maxted to beat, however Ash Palmer got back to challenge and brought Dennis down for a penalty and also collected a straight red card.

Louis Dennis picked himself up off the floor and stepped up to take the penalty which he struck low to Jonny Maxted’s right-hand corner, at full stretch Maxted got down to save and hold the penalty kick.


The visitors continued to press and Tashan Soyinka then found Maxted equal to his shot while at the other end Rowan Liburd flashed a powerful shot just wide of the upright.

Guiseley looked to have a legitimate penalty claim of their own turned down when Jake Lawlor appeared to be pushed over in the Bromley area from a corner, but the referee Paul Marsden disagreed and said play on.

Both sides went close to breaking the deadlock just before the break as first Adeyinka tried his luck for the visitors with a vicious dipping shot that Maxted pushed away. Then Rowan Liburd received the ball with his back to goal, before turning his defender and hitting a looping effort that caught Gregory off-guard making the half-time score 0-0.


Guiseley started the second half the stronger as Darren Holden created an opening for himself but chose to cross rather than shoot and the chance was lost.  Tyrone Sterling replied for the visitors but put his shot over the bar.

Mike Fondop then replaced Kayode Odejayi as the Lions went for broke but it was the visitors who went close when the lively Adeyinka curled one over the angle and Dennis was denied by a point blank save from Jonny Maxted.

On seventy-five, the home side were creating some great pressure on the Bromley goal after being awarded a corner Mike Fondop rose above the melee to get his head to the ball, but unfortunately he couldn’t direct it goal ward and his effort went wide.


Then on the eighty-second minute, Frankie Raymond was brought down in the area and the visitors were awarded their second penalty of the afternoon but the irrepressible Jonny Maxted ensured his goal remained intact as he denied Josh Rees from the spot.

The visitors finally broke the deadlock in the ninety-four minute, when Dominic Vose beat Connor brown on the wing before cutting into the area and sending a low cross into the six yard box, were the ball was met by Iffy Allen who stroked the ball passed a helpless Jonny Maxted to give the visitors the lead and all three points.


Speaking after the match manager Paul Cox said “It is a result that is hard to take to be so near to a point and play with ten men for so long, we showed such a great desire it is such a shame we couldn’t get something from it.”

Match Details

Guiseley – Maxted, Brown, Palmer, Lawlor, Holden, Hurst, Molyneux, Odejayi, M,Boungou, Liburd, Harvey (Subs) Rooney, Lenighan, Fondop, Haworth, Koue

Bromley – Gregory, Dunne, Holland, Johnson, Sterling, Wanadio, Rees, Mekki, Raymond, Dennis, Adeyinka (Subs) Vose, Higgs, Campbell, Wynter, Allen

Goals(Bromley) Allen (94)

Attendance – 1,074

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.