Guiseley AFC v FC Halfax Town

Guiseley AFC 1 v 1 FC Halifax Town (Vanarama National League)

Sean St Ledger welcomed local rivals FC Halifax Town to Nethermoor Park this weekend for a massive derby fixture against another struggling side at bottom of the Vanarama National League.  The weather conditions, strong winds and snow made it very difficult however both sides managed to play some excellent football.


Guiseley started the stronger of the two sides and had an excellent chance in the opening five minutes, when a John Rooney effort from just outside the area nearly caught out Sam Johnson in the Halifax goal, but he managed to tip the ball over his crossbar.

On thirteen minutes, the home side took the lead when John Rooney crossed a free-kick to the edge of the six yard box and Kayode Odejayi beat Sam Johnson to the ball, before heading it passed the visiting goalkeeper to give Guiseley a 1-0 lead.


Whilst Guiseley were having the better of the chances, FC Halifax Town nearly levelled when Connor Thomson saw his shot well saved by Luke Coddington, the ball then fell to Matty Kosylo who sent the rebound wide of the post.

Just before half-time, referee Andrew Miller cost the Lions a chance of all three points when he reduced the home side to ten men following a confrontation in the Lions six yard box.  Miller red carded midfielder John Rooney for hitting out in the scuffle despite the fact that Rooney was no where near the incident (Rooney on left of image below).


The Shaymen utilised the man advantage in the second-half, with Matty Brown forcing Luke Coddington into a fine reflex save tipping a header over the crossbar for a corner.

Just after the hour mark, FC Halifax Town scored the equaliser when a ball over the top of the Guiseley defence was missed by Harry Flowers and fell to Ben Tomlinson who chipped the ball over the on rushing Coddington into an empty goal to make it 1-1.


Scott McManus then came close to scoring a winner for the visitors, when his free-kick hit the crossbar with Coddington well beaten. The Shaymen continued to press & forced another excellent save from Luke Coddington, when he turned a shot from Niall Maher around his left-hand post.

Guiseley finished the match the stronger and were on top in the final five minutes, but despite pressing hard they were unable to find a winning and the match finished 1-1.


Speaking after the match manager Sean St Ledger said, “It was a difficult game due to the windy conditions, but I thought we handled well and created some great opportunities in the first-half. We got in front with a well taken goal and then just before half-time we lost John Rooney to a sending off and he was not even involved in the incident.

I am very proud of the players, they went in search of all three points despite playing against a strong wide with only ten men, to be honest I thought we played the better of the two teams.  However we now need to move on and focus on the next game against Torquay United at Plainmoor, with both sides in the relegation zone it’s a must win.

Match Details

Guiseley – Coddington, Purver, Palmer, Flowers, Holden, Hatfield, Ray-Harvey, Rooney, Southwell, Liburd, Odejayi (Subs) Green, McFadzean, Haworth, Crookes, Roberts

FC Halifax Town – Johnson, Brown, Kosylo, Hotte, McManus, Tomlinson, Collins, Maher, Thomson, Hanley, Duckworth (Subs) Nicholson, Hibbs, Oliver, Denton, Tuton

Goals(Guiseley) Odejayi (13)  (FC Halifax Town) Tomlinson (68)

Attendance – 1,106

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.