Steeton AFC v Campion FC

Steeton AFC 1 v 0 Campion FC (West Riding County Amateur League)

Steeton AFC held their first home match at Summerhill Lane since the 21st November last year, as they hosted Campion Football Club in the West Riding County League. Roy Mason gave debuts to Josh Eastwood and Matty Wilson as the clubs long term injuries and suspensions grows even longer.


In a fairly even first half with chances few and far between, both teams played the ball through midfield smartly in an effort to break down each others strong defences, where Michael Rhodes was outstanding for Steeton.

Midway through the half Andy Briggs went close as he received the ball at the end of the visitors box, before beating the last man and sending a shot across the six yard box that was well saved by Matthew Keen tipping the ball around the post and out for a corner.


Steeton’s injury problem got worst before half-time, when striker Alex Yates who had been playing well alongside Andy Briggs suffered a hamstring injury and had to be replaced by Nicky McNally.

On forty minutes, the visitors had an excellent opportunity to take the lead when a cross from the left-hand side found its way to the back post, but the volley was hit hard, high and wide of Joe Mash’s goal to leave the half-time score 0-0.


The second-half was much the same as the first with both teams testing each other out in a midfield battle, with Josh Eastwood, Ben Richardson, Andy Holden, Toby Jeffrey and Elliot Scott getting the better of the visitors midfield the longer the game went on.

Steeton broke the deadlock on the hour mark as an excellent ball from the defence found Andy Briggs wide on the right, he sent over an excellent cross into the area which took a wicked deflection off a defender and beat Matthew Keen at his near post to make it 1-0.


The visitors almost equalised two minutes later when a spectacular acrobatic volley from the edge of the penalty area just cleared the crossbar with the Steeton defence beaten. Steeton hit straight back and should have extended their lead but McNally’s effort in front of an open goal went wide of Matthew Keen’s post.

Late in the second-half, referee Mr Niles should have issued a red card for a clear elbow on Andy Briggs by the visiting centre-half, but after blowing his whistle for a free-kick he only spoke to the defender and failed to issue a card.


Steeton almost extended their lead again in the final minute, when Andy Briggs hit a long range effort that struck the visitors crossbar before going out for a goal kick.

Roy Mason will now focus on preparing his squad for the next match against Britannia Sports Football Club next weekend, as they look to increase the pressure on Salts FC as they chase the West Riding County Premier League leaders.

Match Details

Steeton AFC – Mash, Rhodes, Scott, Wilson, Pearson, Jeffrey, Holden, Eastwood, Yates, Briggs, Richardson (Subs) McNally, Daniels, Park, Maddocks

Goals(Steeton AFC)  Briggs (60)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.