Steeton AFC v Littletown FC

Steeton AFC 3 v 2 Littletown (West Riding County League Cup Quarter-Final

Roy Mason and his squad welcomed Littletown Football Club to Summerhill Lane for the Quarter-Finals of the West Riding County League Cup as they looked to go all the way in another cup competition after reaching the final of the Keighley Cup last month.

Steeton started the stronger of the two sides and opened the scoring on nine minutes, as striker Ben Clarkson latched onto an excellent through ball from Andy Holden before slotting the ball pass the goalkeeper to make it 1-0.

Two minutes after the goal, a mix-up in the home penalty area led to a last ditch tackle by Matthew Wilson which brought loud appeals for a penalty from Littletown players and staff but referee Mr Clough allowed play to continue.


The visitors’ continued to press for an equaliser but once again the defending from the home side was excellent, skipper Michael Rhodes, Steve Pearson, Matthew Wilson and goalkeeper Joe Mash kept the visitors out with another fine display.

A second goal did come a few minutes before the interval when Ben Clarkson beat the goalkeeper to the ball outside his area, before chipping it into an empty goal following an excellent pass from Andy Holden.

In the last seconds of the first-half, Andy Holden’s goal bound free-kick was superbly tipped around the post by the Littletown keeper to make the half-time score 2-0.


Early in the second-half Joe Mash made a world-class double save driving low to his right with a strong hand to keep out the first effort, before getting back to his feet quickly and saving the second effort which was a save across the goal from Matthew Bugg.

Steeton then went close to adding a third, when Andy Briggs had two efforts at goal the first was an excellent through ball from Toby Jeffrey was collected by Briggs but his effort went just over the visitors crossbar.  His second effort following an understand layoff by Ben Clarkson smashed against the visitors crossbar and bounced to safety.


Steeton extended their lead on seventy minutes, when substitute Jonah Smith collected the ball in the visitors area before scuffing the ball into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal to leave the keeper no chance and make the score 3-0.

Littletown pulled a goal back on seventy-four minutes, as striker Joe Jagger stepped up to send a powerful free-kick past Joe Mash into the bottom corner, this was his twenty-third goal of the season and made the score 3-1 to the home side.


On seventy-eight minutes, the visitors added a scored goal as Matthew Bugg slotted the ball past Joe Mash from the edge of the area to set up an exciting finish to the match.

The visitors increased the pressure on the Steeton goal in the final ten minutes of the match as Littletown looked for an equaliser.  Roy Mason made a late change bringing on Joe Park for Ben Clarkson to tighten up their defence as the home side held on to win 3-2.


Steeton AFC will now take their place in the West Riding County League Cup Semi-Final against the winner of D.R.A.M Community and Route One Rovers game which had to be postponed this weekend due to a water-logged pitch.

Match Details

Steeton AFC – Mash, Rhodes, Scott, Wilson, Pearson, Jeffrey, Eastwood, Holden, Clarkson, Briggs, Richardson (Subs) Smith, Park, Hird

Goal(Steeton) Clarkson (8,37), Smith (69) (Littletown) Jagger (74), Bugg (78)


This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.