Silsden AFC v Garstang

Silsden AFC 0 v 2 Garstang (Macron Cup – 1st Round)

Silsden AFC welcomed North West Counties Division One North new boys Garstang to the Cobbydale Construction Stadium for the Macron Cup (1st Round) match. The visitors who currently sit one division below their hosts were looking to create some magic of their own by causing a first round cup upset.


Garstang started the better of the two sides and to be honest never looked like losing this cup tie.  The visitors nearly went in front after just two minutes when the home side gave away a sloppy ball in midfield, which allowed Alan Coar to unleash a shot from the edge of the area that went just wide of Sam Lee’s right-hand post.

On eleven minutes, Silsden had their first shot on goal following a late challenge on Will Storrie. The resulting freekick was whipped in from the right but Craig Bentham headed over the crossbar from five yards.


The visitors number nine Alan Coar who caused Silsden problems all afternoon managed to get free inside the home penalty area on fifteen minutes only to see his shot across the six yard box well saved by Sammy Lee in the Silsden goal.

On twenty minutes, the home side went close to taking the lead with an excellent free-kick from just outside the Garstang area, Joe Gaughan curled his effort over the wall only to see his shot come back off the crossbar with William Kitchen well beaten.


Just nine minutes later Will Storrie beat two Garstang defenders before taking aim and hitting a shot from the edge of the area which was blocked by the visitors defence, the rebound fell to Barnes but his effort was also blocked. The ball then fell to Luke Baldwin who got his effort on target, but Kitchen in the visitors goal saved well.

It was the visitors that finished the half the stronger as Craig Bentham does well to block the shot inside the Silsden area, however the ball fell to Ryan Cattermole at the edge of the box who was fouled.  The resulting free-kick from Jonathan Hothersall went high over Sammy Lee’s crossbar.


The final effort of the half fell to the visitors on forty-one minutes, a corner for Garstang was headed over the crossbar by Cameron Ross who should have really given the visitors the lead, but his miss left the half-time score 0-0.

Silsden manager Danny Forrest must have read the riot act at the interview, as the home side came out for the second-half all guns blazing and Reece Kendall went close just three minutes into the half, but his shot went just wide of the visitors post.

Then on fifty minutes, a break from Arley Barnes finds Will Storrie and his shot beats the Garstang goalkeeper Kitchen only to see his effort cleared off the line.  From the resulting corner the ball finds Luke Baldwin who fires into the side netting.


The next twenty minutes turned into a bit more of a midfield battle with the visitors starting to get on top, forcing the Silsden players into rushing their passes which either went astray or were to long and were claimed by the visiting goalkeeper.

On seventy minutes, the visitors took the lead following a long ball over the Silsden defence which was collected by substitute Richard Coar on the right-hand side of the area.  He then turned two defenders before slotting the ball past Sammy Lee into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal to make it 1-0.


Just six minutes later, Garstang hit Silsden on the break again and a long ball found richard Coar again this time on the left-wing, before he ran into the area to slot the ball under the on rush Lee into an empty goal to make the score 2-0.


In the final minute of the game, Arley Barnes played an nice one two with Danny Forrest on the edge of the visitors area, but his left footed shot was well saved by Kitchen in the Garstang goal and the resulting corner came to nothing to leave the full-time score 2-0 to the visitors.


Silsden manager Danny Forrest described his sides performance as lacklustre, as they crashed out of the Macron Cup against lower league opposition.  However, the manager will need to get the team focused ahead of next saturday’s trip to Cheshire were they will face 1874 Northwich in the North West Counties Premier League.

Match Details

Silsden AFC – Lee, Everingham, Kendall, Kaine, Bentham, Craven, Barnes, Gaughan, Storrie, Kirby, Baldwin (Subs) Tomas, Darkins, Hardisty-Blackwell, Forrest

Garstang – Kitchen, Birch, Nagy, O’Conner, Ross, Cattermole, Graham, Entwistle, A.Coar, McKenna, Hothersall (Subs) R.Coar, Murphy, Sailor

Goals(Garstang) R.Coar (72,78)

Attendance – 125

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.