Silsden AFC v Bedlington Terriers

Silsden AFC 3 v 1 Bedlington Terriers  (FA Vase – Second Round)

Silsden AFC welcomed Bedlington Terriers to the Cobbydale Construction Stadium this afternoon as they looked to get back to winning ways in the FA Vase, which offers all non league teams the chance to play at Wembley. Manager Danny Forrest was looking for his side to avoid a second cup upset against lower league opposition following defeat against Garstang in the Macron Cup.

fa vase

As a mark of respect both clubs observed a minute’s silence before the kick-off for the Leicester City Chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, who sadly died in last Saturday’s helicopter crash where five people were killed outside the King Power Stadium.

bed 1

A shock looked on the cards from the second minute of the game, when the visitors took the lead following a good passing move which found Ronnie Jones just inside the area and he fired the ball passed Sammy Lee in the home goal to give Bedlington Terrier a 1-0 lead.

Silsden had two clear-cut chances to draw level in the first-half with both chances falling to striker Richard Ainscough.  The first effort on twenty-five so Ainscough clean through on goal with only McCafferty in the visitors goal to beat, but he slotted to ball under the keeper and just wide of the post.

silsden 0

Ainscough second effort on thirty-eight minutes was a little bit more difficult, as a cross into the box was missed by a number of players and the chance fell quickly to Ainscough at the back post. His first time volley beat the visiting keeper only for it to clip the outside of the post and go wide for a goal kick, leaving the half-time score 1-0 to the visitors.

At the start of the second-half the visitors should have extended their lead when just two minutes into the half an excellent run by Cameron Fenton who squared the ball to Ronnie Jones but his effort was cleared off the line by Reece Lyndon.

On the hour, the home side started to control the game and following a corner Kendall sent a header just wide. Just a minute later following an excellent move the ball found Gaughan but his first time shot from inside the area was well saved.

silsden 1

On sixty-five minutes the home side drew level, as Trueman crossed a free-kick from the right into the Bedlington six yard box for Gaughan to send a header passed McCafferty in the visitors goal to make it 1-1.

Silsden were now putting the visitors under pressure and just three minutes later they took the lead. An excellent run and pass by Luke Rhodes found Gaughan just inside the visitors box and his first time shot beat the McCafferty to make it 2-1.

silsden 2

Bedlington were next to have an effort at goal on seventy-three minutes, having worked himself into an excellent shooting position at the edge of the Silsden area, Fenton’s shot took a massive deflection and went out for a corner only for referee Mr Ross to award a goal kick.

On seventy-eight minutes, the home side could have added a third following an excellent passing move through midfield, the ball arrived at the feet of Aidan Kirkby but he rushed his final effort and the ball sailed high over the Bedlington crossbar.

silsden 3

Silsden were awarded a free-kick around thirty yards from the visitors goal on eighty minutes, which Joe Gaughan struck in search of his hat-trick.  However the ball took a deflection off the wall and landed at the feet of Aidan Kirby who slotted the ball passed McCafferty to make the score 3-1 and secure a place in the next round.

Straight from the kick-off, the visitors went on the attack looking to get back into the game, but Dylan Williamson over ran the ball and jumped into a two footed tackle on Reece Lyndon and he was shown a straight red card leaving the visitors down to ten men.

On eighty-eight minutes, following an excellent run down the right wing by Christopher Wademan the home side were awarded another free-kick just outside the area.  This lead to the final effort of the game by Joe Gaughan but his effort went just over the crossbar and the game finished 3-1 to Silsden AFC.

silsden win

Silsden AFC will now have to wait for the draw to see who they will face in the next round of the FA Vase on the 1st December. But before then the squad will have to be focused on the North West Counties Premier Division as they face Iralm, Hanley Town and Bootle all at the Cobbydale Construction Stadium in the next three weeks.

Match Details

Silsden AFC – Lee, Bentham, Kendall, Kaine, Lyndon, Rhodes, Trueman, Gaughan, Kirby, Ainscough, Sultan (Subs) Wademan, Everingham, Illingworth, Moses, Storrie

Bedlington Terriers – McCafferty, Harvey, Dobson, Herron, McGuinness, Gibson, Williamson, Loughborough, Young, Jones, Fenton (Subs) Sherlock, Bell, Nelis, Westphal, Stewart

Goals(Silsden) Gaughan (65, 68) Kirby (80) (Bedlington) Jones (2)

Attendance – 152

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.