FC Halifax Town v Torquay United

FC Halifax Town 2 v 4 Torquay United (Vanarama National League)

FC Halifax Town returned to the Shay this weekend for the visit of Torquay United in the Vanarama National League, the two former Football League clubs still have reminders all around the stadium of the time in the Football League such as the sign below.

The results have been a little mixed for the home side over the last few weeks after a 5-0 defeat away at Bromley FC, the Shaymen bounced back in midweek with a victory away at Sutton United. Pete Wild added to his squad during the week with the signing of striker Jack Renshaw from Salford City.

On five minutes, the home side had the first real effort of the half when Liam McAlinden found space on the edge of the visitors box. However his powerful shot failed to trouble visit goalkeeper Covolan-Cavagnarion as his shot went high over the crossbar.

The visitors took the lead on eight minutes, following an excellent spell of possession from Torquay United, a cross from Frank Vincent was headed behind for a corner. The resulting Andrews corner was headed home by Kyle Cameron into the far corner of the net.

FC Halifax came to life just after the goal following some neat work from Sho-Silva, which went for a corner. The resulting corner was cleared away but Liam Davis had to intervene to put it behind for another corner. A minute later a third shot in two minutes was well saved by the visiting goalkeeper Lucas Covolan-Cavagnari.

Torquay United extended their lead on sixteen minutes, when Frank Vincent was brought down by Jacob Hanson inside the FC Halifax area. Referee Thomas Parsons awarded the penalty and Jamie Reid stepped up to convert from the spot to give the visitors a 2-0 lead.

On twenty minutes, the home side appealled for a penalty following a poor tackle by Kyle Cameron on Jack Earing inside the visitors box. However referee Thomas Parsons waved away the appeal and awarded the Shaymen a corner.

The visitors should have extended their lead on the half-hour mark, when Jamie Reid and Saikou Janneh linked up well only for Janneh to steer his effort wide of Johnson’s post.

On thirty-four minutes, a Saikou Janneh misplaced header gave Josh MacDonald a chance to break through the visitors defence, but he slipped and lost his footing at the last minute and the danger was cleared by the Torquay United defence.

The final effort of the half fell to the visitors, when left-back Liam Davis had a strike at goal following a surging run, but his right-footed shot went over the crossbar without troubling Sam Johnson in the FC Halifax goal, leaving the half-time score 0-2.

Pete Wild had some strong words for the team during the interval and it looked to have worked for the opening ten minutes of the half. The first real effort of the half fell to the home side as Josh MacDonald sent a great cross into the visitors area, which found Liam McAlinden who headed the ball across goal to Charlie Cooper, but his shot went wide of the visitors goal.

On fifty-six minutes, the Shaymen won the ball in the midfield and created another chance as Tobi Sho-Silva sent a shot over the visitors crossbar without really troubling the visiting goalkeeper Lucas Covolan-Cavagnari.

Jamie Reid added his second and the Gulls third on sixty-four minutes, when Saikou Janneh feed the striker to slot the ball into the Shayman’s goal to make it 0-3. Then with ten minutes remaining Liam McAlinden pulled a goal back to make it 1-3, but the game was already finished.

FC Halifax win a corner in the nineth minutes, which was cleared and sent up field to Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala who collected the ball and ran at the heart of the home side’s defence before hitting the ball into the net making the score 1-4 and an more convincing result for the visitors.

On ninety-four minutes, following an excellent run down the right-wing by Jamie Allen who cut into the Gulls penalty area by the byline before cutting the ball back to the penalty spot, where Michael Duckworth slotted the ball past the visiting goalkeeper to make the full-time score 2-4.

Speaking after the match FC Halifax manager Pete Wild said, “Two soft goals, early goals which we gifted them. I’m really frustrated because if you gift teams like Torquay United two early goals you’re going to find it really hard to get back into the contest.

We had a lot of the ball first-half without really doing anything with it and at half time we had a real go at them. It’s amazing when you start winning a few headers and tackles the momentum and purpose that gives you, When you start doing that you’ve got a chance.

My frustration at the moment is you’ve got to go in at half-time and start effing & jeffing and get a reaction. I shouldn’t have to do that and that’s what annoys me, but I can’t go and put the ball in the back of the net for them.

Match Details

FC Halifax – Johnson, Duckworth, Clarke, Nolan, Earing, Sho-Silva, Staunton, McAlinden, Hanson, MacDonald, Cooper (Subs) Appleyard, Binnom-Williams, Allen, Redshaw, Maher

Torquay United – Covolan-Cavagnari, Wynter, Davis, Cameron, Andrews, Vincent, Buse, Reid, Cundy, Janneh, Whitfield (Subs) MacDonald, Lumbobo-Kalala, Koue-Niate, Lewis

Goals(FC Halifax) McAlinden, Duckworth (Torquay) Cameron, Reid (2), Kalala

Attendance – 2,065

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.