Coppull United v Bacup Borough

Coppull United 2 v 1 Bacup Borough (Pre-Season Friendly)

Bacup Borough Football Club arrived at Blainscough Park for their first competitive match of the 2020-21 season. West Lancashire League side Coppull United proved to be a strong opponent for the visitors as Brent Peters and David Felgate took the opportunity to look at a few new players in this fairly even but highly entertaining pre-season friendly.

A lively start to the game lead to both teams making errors with some miss placed passes and players trying to force the game whilst on the ball. But once the game settle down after the opening ten minutes both teams produced some excellent football. Bacup Borough did have an early half chance on five minutes as the ball struck Joe Leather’s crossbar direct from a corner but the ball was cleared from danger.

Coppull United had a great chance to take the lead, when Jordan Wilson and Scott Hamill combined down the right wing, before squaring the ball Danny Marland inside the visitors area but his first time shot was well saved by Peter Monteith who turned the ball around his right hand post for a corner.

Just before the drinks break, the home side should have taken the lead as Matty Bullock attacked down the right-wing earning Coppull United a free kick in a dangerous position, the resulting set piece found the head of skipper Dave Parker by his header went straight into the arms of visiting keeper Peter Monteith.

On twenty-five minutes, Bacup Borough should have taken the lead when once again Michael Gervin out paced the Coppull defence with the ball at his feet, however his left footed shot from just inside the area beat goalkeeper Joe Leather, only to roll just wide of his left hand post and out for a goalkick.

Two minutes later, Coppull United had another great run down the right from Bullock who drove a low hard cross across the Bacup Borough six yard box, but the ball was cleared by Bradley Hancock just as two players tried to get on the end of the cross.

On thirty-three minutes, the visitors took the lead following an excellent move down the left, the ball was then played into Josh Brennan at the edge of the area box who found Michael Gervin inside the area, however just as he was about to shoot he was brought down for a penalty. Gervin took the spot-kick himself and gave the visitors a 1-0 lead.

Coppull United should have drawn level with five minutes of the half remaining when a cross from Scott Hamill on the right-wing almost found Bullock six yards out, but he miss timed his header and the ball flicked off his head and went out of play for a goal kick.

Bacup Borough had the final effort of the half as Michael Gervin held off the final defender before running clear towards goal, his left-foot shot from the edge of the Coppull area was tipped over the crossbar by Joe Leather to make the half-time score 1-0 to the visitors.

Coppull United manager Mark Hind made a number of changes at the interval which had an immediate impact as the home side looked to get back into the game. Just five minutes into the second-half the home side got the equaliser as Jimmy Mciver’s deflected cross was dropped by visiting keeper Monteith into the path of Danny Marland, who struck the ball into an empty net to make the score 1-1.

Coppull United took the lead on fifty minutes as Mikey Hindle showed a bit of brilliance in the middle of the park, dancing round two Bacup Borough midfielders before firing a low shot into the bottom corner of goal to give the home side a 2-1 lead. Whilst ensuring a shocking opening ten minutes to the second-half for visiting goalkeeper Peter Monteith who was clearly at fault for both of the Coppull goals.

The home side should have extended their lead on the hour mark, when Conor Whittaker played an excellent through ball to Danny Marland, but the striker is denied by the foot of Peter Monteith in the visitors goal. The save will have given the keeper some confidence after the two errors that lead to the home side taking the lead.

Bacup Borough then had another chance to draw level with yet another excellent move down the right wing lead to a shot inside the area that was well saved by Joe Leather. Then on eighty minutes, the visitors were reduced to ten men when left-back Bradley Hancock was sin-binned for ten minutes for foul language towards a match official.

On eighty-five minutes, another strong attack for the home side with a great switch of play from Hamillon on the right, but his final shot went well of the visitors crossbar.

The final effort of the match fell to Muhammed Nabeel of Bacup Borough who had been introduced in the second-half and had an impact on the game, providing some excellent link up play between the midfield and the forward line. Nabeel found himself free at the edge of the six yard box on an angle but his first time shot was well saved by Joe Leather. Referee Mark Hughes sounded the final whistle giving Coppull United at 2-1 victory.

Match Details

Coppull United – Leather, Whitaker, Bibby, Murphy, D.Parker, Hamill, Bullock, Hindle, Evans, Wilson, Marland (Subs) Mciver, J.Parker, Morris, Pickstock, Stirling, Hawman

Bacup Borough – Monteith, Walne, Hancock, Crew, Mallinson, Hewitt, K.Siddle, Obasi, Brennan, Gervin, Mellor (Subs) Crompton, Luby, Hussey, R.Siddle, Boardman, Pilling, Nabeel

Goals(Coppull United) Marland, Hindle (Bacup Borough) Gervin

Attendance – 0 (Behind Closed Doors)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.