Nelson FC v Steeton AFC

Nelson FC 3 v 1 Steeton AFC (The Edward Chase Cup Second Round – North)

Nelson Football Club welcomed Steeton AFC to Victoria Park (Little Wembley) for the second round of the Edward Chase Cup (North), with the visitors struggling for results having lost four of their last five matches. The Admirals went into the match with three away wins and two home defeats in the previous five matches.

The visitors got the match underway and went on the attack in the opening minute as Zack Snapster went down the right-wing before whipping in a teasing cross, which was just too high for the head of Gabe Humphries. It was a fairly even opening ten minutes with the visitors enjoying some good sells of possession.

Steeton AFC increased the pressure on the home sides defence which forced home keeper Jack Little into an error as he sliced a back-pass out for a throw. The visitors took a quick throw, which lead to Callum Buttle being clattered on the edge of the area, however the resulting free-kick was played back to the edge of the area and the shot was off target.

Nelson should have taken the lead on eleven minutes, when a cross from the left-wing found Jack Holt just inside the area but his diving header went just wide of Catlow’s left hand post and out for a goal kick. A minute later the home side had another chance to take the lead but Sean Ince fired his shot wide of the goal.

On thirteen minutes, the visitors broke with pace and some excellent first time passing to set captain Andy Briggs clean through on goal. But just Briggs was about to pull the trigger he was denied by Daniel Fagan with an outstanding last ditch tackle.

Nelson took the lead on seventeen minutes, following an excellent move by Kit Lloyd who tried to turn Omar Anjum in the area but the defender conceded a corner. The resulting corner was headed clear to the edge of the box were Sam Lloyd bent a shot from twenty five yards into the bottom corner past Catlow to make it 1-0.

On twenty minutes, goalkeeper James Catlow kept the visitors in the match with an outstanding triple save, the first save came as Sean Ince raced free of the Steeton defence but is shot was well save by Catlow. The ball landed back at Ince’s feet but his second shot was palmed away into the centre of the area before the third shot from Jack Holt hit Catlow’s legs and launched a counter attack for the visitors as Gabe Humphries won a corner for the Chevrons.

The resulting corner on twenty-two minutes, was headed back across the area by Omar Anjum, but unfortunately for the visitors Alan Briggs effort went just over Jack Little’s crossbar. Just three minutes later, Ashley Brierley cut through the Steeton defence but his effort flies across the face of our goal and out for a goal kick without troubling Catlow.

On the half an hour mark, the match turned into a shambles as the referee made three controversial decisions in the space for three minutes. The first poor decision came as a Jake Townsend shot was spilled by Jack Little and with the ball two yards out striker Briggs was taken down by the arm of Little when all he had to do was put the ball into an empty goal. But the referee said there was no contact and waved away the penalty appeal.

The second poor decision came just two minutes later, as striker Sean Holt went into the visitors area before being fairly challenged by Zak Snapster. However, the referee pointed straight to the penalty spot giving the home side a chance to extend their lead, Steeton goalkeeper James Catlow stood strong and made an excellent save before the referee blow his whistle and pointed to the spot again.

This was the third poor decision as the referee ordered a retake of the penalty claiming that the James Catlow had moved off hi line before the ball was kicked, as you can see from the image above the ball has been kicked and Catlow is still on his line. Justice was done on the second penalty as Catlow went to his right and saved the second spot kick leaving the score at 1-0.

Nelson Football Club extended their lead in the first minute of injury time, when Sean Ince finds some space down the right-wing before crossing the ball across the edge of the box to find Jack Holt who took a touch before firing the ball past Jack Catlow into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal to make the half-time score 2-0.

Roy Mason (Steeton Manager) didn’t look pleased as the sides left the pitch half-time, he will have been disappointed with the performance of the officials during the first-half who were very poor. He will also have been looking for his team to have more possession of the ball in the second-half, whilst creating and taking more of their chances in front of goal.

The visitors made two changes at half-time with Luke Baldwin and Toby Jeffrey coming on for Zack Snapster and Gabe Humphries. Steeton started the second-half much better and had the first chance of the half after just three minutes, when a couple of Nelson defenders blocked a Luke Baldwin effort.

Steeton AFC were now controlling the match with some excellent passing and they created another opportunity on forty-nine minutes as Callum Buttle sent a cross into the penalty area which was cleared by Daniel Fagan. The visitors continued to put pressure on the home defence and on fifty-one minutes the Nelson defence made two excellent challenges to deny Alan Briggs in front of goal.

Just after the hour mark, the home side had another excellent chance to extend their lead when Kit Lloyd took advantage of some poor Steeton defending but he could only hit his shot into the side netting.

On sixty-five minutes, Luke Baldwin had a get chance to pull a goal back for the visitors, as he ran through the Nelson defence but could only put his shot wide of Jack Little’s goal to leave the score 2-0.

Just two minutes later, another controversial decision this time from the lineman who flagged for another penalty as Omar Anjum made a challenge inside the area and the Nelson striker went to ground. But on this occasion the referee said that Anjum had got the ball and he waved away the appeals.

Another excellent run on sixty-nine minutes, so Luke Baldwin denied a goal by another excellent block from Bradley Ditch at the centre of the home defence. The home side then had another chance to extend their lead a minute later as Zack Dale got the wrong side of Josh Walne, but he fired his shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

Nelson Football Club extended their lead on seventy-five minutes, when a corner from the left-hand side found Zack Dale at the back post and he headed the ball past James Catlow into the goal to make the score 3-0.

On eighty-two minutes, the visitors went close to pulling a goal back when Toby Jeffrey’s corner was headed off the line, before the ball fell to a Steeton striker who blazed the ball over the bar. A minute into extra-time the visitors pulled a goal back following an excellent ball into the area, Alan Briggs header is well saved by Jack Little, before Jack Lynn fires the ball into the net to make the final score 3-1.

Match Details

Nelson FC – Little, Brierley, S.Lloyd, Ditch, Fagan, Grice, J.Lloyd, Cattermole, Ince, K.Lloyd, Holt (Subs) McKinley, C.Lloyd, Dale, Lonsdale, Iyanda

Steeton AFC – Catlow, Walne, Buttle, Driffield, Anjum, Snapster, Subhani, McKiernon, Humphries, Briggs (Subs) Baldwin, Makula, Jeffrey, Morgan, Lynn

Goals(Nelson) S.Lloyd, Holt, Lonsdale (Steeton) Lynn

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.