Padiham v Newcastle Benfield

Padiham 1 v 2 Newcastle Benfield (FA Cup Preliminary Round)

The magic of the FA Cup returned to the Arbories for the second time this season as Padiham entertained Newcastle Benfield in the preliminary round. The Storks were looking to get into the first qualifying round for the first time in the clubs history.

Padiham had a number of excellent runs down the left-hand side with Brandon Barski and Reece Pearce causing Newcastle Benfield a few issues in the opening twenty-five minutes.

On thirty minutes, Padiham should have taken the lead when Barski made an excellent run down the left-wing before cutting into the penalty area and sending a low ball across the six yard box, Harry Dunn slide in and missed the ball from six yards and Cookson managed to take the shot but hit the last defender and the ball went to safety.


The final fifteen minutes of the half swung the way of Newcastle Benfield as they had a number of clear cut chances that they put wide or over the top of Donlon’s goal.

Paul Brayson started to hold the ball up front and bring in the midfielders to create the chances, but they could not find the last pass or shot on target to take the lead.

On forty minutes, the referee awarded Newcastle a free-kick at the edge of the area, which Coghlan fired over the crossbar without troubling Donloan, but this proved to be a sighter for Coghlan who scored minutes later from another free-kick.


On forty-two minutes, the referee awarded Newcastle Benfield a soft free kick on the edge of the Padiham area.  Michael Coghlan curled the free kick through the wall and past Michael Donlon into the left-hand corner of the goal to make the half-time score 0-1.


Padiham started the second half well and put some pressure on the Newcastle Benfield back four and on fifty-one minutes the Storks drew level following a good move by Armstrong on the right-wing, his ball found Hunter who slid in Reece Pearce who cut into the area and fired past Grainger in the Newcastle goal to make it 1-1.

Newcastle Benfield scored a second on the hour when a Paul Brayson free-kick took a wicked deflection off the wall to wrong foot Michael Donlon, the keeper managed to get a hand to ball but couldn’t stop the ball hitting the back of net to make the score 2-1.


After scoring their second goal Newcastle Benfield were on top and had a couple of attempts at Donlon’s goal that should have extended their lead.  Once again the Storks were let down by another two poor decisions by match officials.

Just two minutes after the goal Newcastle Benfield broke free on a counter attack, only for Gary Hunter to tackle Coghlan on the halfway line, Coghlan then stood up and punched Hunter in the head and the referee awarded Padiham a free-kick before issuing Coghlan with just a yellow card instead of a red.

Then on sixty-five minutes following an excellent move and through ball from Jordan Armstrong, midfielder Harry Dunn found himself clear in the penalty area run towards goal, only to be brought down from behind for a clear penalty, however the referee waved away the penalty appeals despite seeing the incident clearly.


Padiham increased the pressure on the Newcastle Benfield goal in the final ten minutes, as Jordan Armstrong, David Hankin and Aaron Taylor all had runs down the right-wing, but the final ball was either to close to the keeper or was met by a defenders headed clearance.

In the final minutes, an excellent cross from Jordan Armstrong was met by the head of captain Martin Parkes, but despite beating the keeper Grainger to the ball his header went just wide of the own post.


Marc Young had the final effort at goal in as he managed to get a foot to the ball in a crowded area, which included Padiham keeper Michael Donlon. Unfortunately Young’s effort went wide of the post and the referee blow for full-time, making the final score 2-1 to Newcastle Benfield

Padiham will now look to continue their unbeaten run in the Hallmark Security North West counties Premier League when they entertain Barnoldswick Town on Wednesday evening at the Arbories.


Speaking after the game manager Steve Wilkes said, “I’m obviously disappointed with both the result and performance. A couple of wins in the FA Cup can go a long way for a club like Padiham as it helps with the costs for the season.

We didn’t play as well as we know we can, however the most disappointing for me and no disrespect to Newcastle Benfield, but we got beat by a poor side and that’s what hurts me the most.”

Match Details

Padiham – Donlon, Armstrong, Barski, Sharples, Parkes, Young, Dunn, Hunter, Cookson, Murphy, Pearce (Subs) Hankin, Bamba, Walsh, West, Taylor, Firth

Newcastle Benfield – Grainger, Walker, Slott, McNamee, Tobin, Turnbull, Cornish, Coghlan, Brayson, Backett, Baptist (Subs) Errington, Busby, McMCarthy, Convery, Trodd, Udgren

Goals(Padiham) Pearce (51) (Newcastle) Coghlan (42), Brayson (60)

Attendance – 106

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.